[[ -x ]] and root

Hi,

  I am quite new to sysadm and zsh so I hope this question isn't
stupid.

  As root, I want to strip some files in a mixed bin and data
directory.  So I use "zsh# if [[ -x file ]]" to find out if the file
has --x--x--x for the current (root) process.

However, [[ -x file ]] returns true for all files when run under a root process,
even for files --r--r--r that (correctly) fail execution for root with "permission
denied:"

Is this a zsh "feature" or am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

Colin.

--

* CJ Holmes, PhD,
* Dept Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, 4238 Reed Bldg, Box 951769