Re: using 'fc' to backup 'zhistory (was Re: saving history file based on # of commands)

On Aug 15, 11:11pm, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:
} Subject: using 'fc' to backup 'zhistory  (was Re: saving history file base
}
} Someone suggested that I use 'fc' and precmd to call a function to
} backup my zhistory file.

What's wrong with:

function precmd {
    fc -AI $HISTFILE
}

This adds every command to your histfile as you type it, and lops off
everything before the last $SAVEHIST entries.  Or is that what you say
takes too long?

} However, I cannot figure out how to do this (I keep ending up with
} a size=0 file).

fc -W and fc -A always truncate to SAVEHIST entries, so if you don't
have SAVEHIST set to something greater than zero, nothing will be
written.  Could that be what's happening?

} backup the _last_50 commands I have entered (otherwise it gets very
} slow waiting for the entire history file to be backed up, and once
} I have it, I'd rather just add to it than start all over each 50
} commands).

Try this in 3.0.0:

function precmd {
    SAVEHIST=50 fc -AI $HISTFILE	# Use -WI if this doesn't seem right

Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: