Re: Suggestions for auto-login script for ZSH?

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Nate Johnston wrote:

> Actually, I have found that this is not true.  For example, this works
> perfectly fine for me:
>
> echo "ftp mywhateverhost
> $LOGNAME
> mypassword
> bin
> get flotsam.tar
> bye" > .tmpfile
> telnet myloginhost < .tmpfile > ftp.log

And this could be better written using HERE documents as

telnet myloginhost <<END_OF_SCRIPT > ftp.log
ftp mywhateverhost
$LOGNAME
mypassword
bin
get flotsam.tar
bye
END_OF_SCRIPT

But it's a bad idea to have passwords in scripts, or as plaintext
anywhere (like in .netrc).

Greg J. Badros                 8816 Nesbit Ave N., Apt 303
gjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx          Seattle, WA  98103-4067
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb