zsh 3.0.2 useless on NeXTStation?

On Tue, 17 Dec 96 21:04:42 -0500 Timothy J Luoma <luomat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Zsh version 3.0.2 has been released!

> It is still too slow to be usable on my NeXTStation, specifically
> the redrawing of the prompts.
>
> I'm at a loss as to what to do.  I'd really like to use 3.0.2, I'm
> still on 2.6.  Is anyone else using 3.0.2 on a non-turbo
> NeXTstation?  Are you experiencing any troubles such as the ones I
> mentioned?   I'm also seeing weird things when I use the up arrow to
> go through history.

Dear zsh-workers!

I've to confirm this. I just downloaded and compiled zsh-3.0.2 on NextStep
3.2 (Blackbox). The symtoms are as Timothy describes them. Setting BAUD to
zero does help only very little. Yes, the behaviour was much better with zsh
2.5.2. (More plainly, 2.5.2 was right, 3.0.2 isn't.)

The symtoms look as if there now are too many flushes in the zsh terminal
output code. Since on the Next all screen output is done via
Display-Postscript, which does heavy buffering on its own, I'd urgently
suspect the problems are caused by interference of the buffering mechanisms.

Now, for the purpose of investigating this further, I'd very much appreciate
some hints from you more knowledgeable fellows. Where should I look into,
zle_refresh?  Or any other clues would be very welcome.

Till then, thanks, Wolfgang.