Re: Man pages missing

<>I'm sorry, but I can't find the *.man pages in the 3.1.1 release or the
<>zsh-doc release.  For those of use who do not have, or don't want, yodl,
<>it would be nice if the *.man pages were really in the Doc directory.
<
<They are there, they're just called *.1 now.

There are no *.1 files in zsh-3.1.1. I did a find search and zippo files
that end in .1.

<The point of using yodl is that we only need to maintain *one* form of
<the manual.  You now don't need to understand both nroff and TeXinfo to
<patch the man page.  And the yodl is, I think, easier to maintain than
<either nroff or TeXinfo was.

Then I must be seeing things.  The few .yo files that I sampled sure looked
like they had flavors of nroff and TeXinfo in them.  It looks like this:

COMMENT(--- man page headers ---)

def(manpage)(4)(\
  NOTRANS(.TH ")ARG1" "ARG2" "ARG3" "ARG4"\
)
def(manpagename)(2)(\
  sect(NAME)NL()\
  ARG1 - ARG2\
)

COMMENT(--- TeXinfo headers and conditionals ---)

def(texinfo)(2)(CMT())

def(texiifinfo)(1)()
def(texiiftex)(1)()

def(texititlepage)(0)(CMT())
def(texiendtitlepage)(0)(CMT())
def(texititle)(1)(CMT())
def(texisubtitle)(1)(CMT())
def(texiauthor)(1)(CMT())

def(texinode)(4)(CMT())
def(texitop)(1)(CMT())

COMMENT(--- section divisions ---)

def(chapter)(1)(CMT())

def(sect)(1)(\
  USECHARTABLE(toupper)\
  NOTRANS(.SH ")ARG1"NL()\
  USECHARTABLE(standard)\
  STDPAR()\
  CMT()\
)

def(subsect)(1)(\
  NOTRANS(.SS ")ARG1"NL()\
  CMT()\
)

COMMENT(--- comment output ---)

DEFINECHARTABLE(roffcomment)(
  '\n' = "\n.\\\" "
)
def(comment)(1)(\
  USECHARTABLE(roffcomment)\
  NOTRANS(.\" )ARG1\
  USECHARTABLE(standard)\
)

To me this means one has to program yodl macros to handle nroff and texi
stuff (if something wasn't already defined).

In any event, I know n/t/groff and can muddle through TeX stuff.  I'll
be damned if I am going to learn yodl.  To learn yet another text processor
is just too much.  So forgive me if I only send in changes to documentation
via quoting the current text and suggesting changes.  If a format change
is needed, I will just have to indicate what needs to be done.

I can just hear it now... what a wimp.  So be it.  I have so many things I
have to know for my job, this is just one thing that breaks the camel's back.

MB
--
System Administrator - Finnigan FT/MS - Madison WI. <URL:http://www.ftms.com/>
e-mail: brown@xxxxxxxx