Re: problem with GNU Emacs shell mode

On Feb 26,  2:00pm, Jerry Jackson wrote:
> Subject: problem with GNU Emacs shell mode
>
> I've been using zsh for a long time but when GNU Emacs changed
> comint mode around version 19.2x - 19.3x I started getting a lot
> of spurious ^M's in my buffer.  I couldn't figure out how to fix
> it and I reverted to Emacs version 19.21 for years.

Ouch!  Why didn't you ask sooner?

> Has anyone figured out how to fix this problem?

Emacs 19.29 or thereabouts stopped using a terminal type of "emacs"
in shell buffers, and instead sets it to "dumb".  Zsh only kicks in
its special I'm-inside-emacs initialization when the terminal type
is "emacs".

Placing a

(setenv "TERM" "emacs")

in your ~/.emacs file seems to fix this.  If that confuses other programs
that are run from within emacs, you can instead use

(setenv "ESHELL" "~/bin/eshell")

and then put "TERM=emacs exec zsh" in the file ~/bin/eshell.