startup files

I'm setting up my /etc startup files for zsh and came across the following
problem: I'd like to setup the base default environment in those files
(such as umask, PATH, PERL5LIB, MAIL, ...) but with as little interference
with the user's ttings (as a user I just hate it when I have to circumvent some
sysadm's broken settings). In other words, I'd like the thing to be run once at
login (like /etc/zprofile) and to be run at the very beginning (like
/etc/zshenv). What should I do ?

Of course, ideally, I wouldn't have to do those setting in any zsh file and
they should be done by the "login" program or somesuch, (so that it's
shell-independent), but I don't know of any way to do that (expect for
XDM-logins). If you know any such thing (mostly for Linux, but also for other
Irix and Solaris), please tell me.

        Stefan