strange xterm/vi/arrow_key behavior

greetings,

I've recently compiled zsh-3.1.0 on an HP C160 running HPUX 10.20.
I've used zsh for several years now, but I have run into a new problem
on this latest compile (actually 10.2).

I like the ability to use the arrow keys for command recall.  When
using an xterm, the arrow keys work fine; however, if I 'vi' in that
window and exit the arrow recall no longer works - I get a single
'A<cr>' for every up/down arrow keypress.  I get this behavior even if
the tty is frozen... any ideas on what vi is doing?

-- andrew