? in filename matching

I just made a bunch of changes to my setopts and one of them seems to have
a side effect I didn't realize or understand.

If I have a bunch of files

file.1234
file.abdf
file.MEME

and I want to match them all, I thought I did 'ls file.????' (to get
just the files named 'file.' with 4 characters after the .)

now I get 'file.???? not found'

I know this is going to be super easy and you'll wonder why I couldn't
figure it out, but there it is....

TjL

--
TjL <luomat@xxxxxxxx>   / http://www.peak.org/~luomat/next/
"The best things in life are made into inferior