Re: zsh - new user with questions

On Aug 19,  7:35pm, Goran Larsson wrote:
} Subject: Re: zsh - new user with questions
}
} 1. If we have a filename with the name "Strasse" and one with the
}    name "Straße". Both filenames are created when the English
}    language is selected. If the German language is selected later,
}    wich one of them should be accessed as "STRASSE"?
}
} 2. If we have a filename with the name "Straße" you can access it
}    as "STRASSE" if you select German, but not if you select English.

He's not suggesting changing the behavior of the file system, he's
suggesting changing the behavior of completion.  That is, if in zsh
you typed

zsh% ls STRASSE<TAB>

then zsh would complete case-insensitively and you'd see

zsh% ls Straße
              ^
	      cursor here

The actual _access_ to the file still has to use its "real" name.

Now, it's a bit more difficult to deal with cases where two characters
maps onto one like that, because zsh normally assumes that completion
can only produce longer words ... but otherwise it's neither impossible
nor a problem for file creation or access.