PWD in prompt

I'm having an odd problem with zsh-3.1.5.  My prompt definition is
basically as follows:

 # set the prompt
 PROMPT=$(print "\%n\@\%m:\%~\\n%1v%% ");

Under 3.1.5, the %~ is constantly getting expressed as ~PWD.  It's not
very useful to know that I'm always in ~PWD.  Is there anyway to
prevent this from happening, while still getting ~ "compression" when
appropriate?

Thanks,
  Matt

--

Matthew Lovell                       voice: (970) 898-6264
Hewlett-Packard WSL                    fax: (970) 898-2510