Re: zsh startup files

Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> :

> Unfortunately I don't see a way of allowing a user to make a login shell
> work this way, but if it's a question of how the system files are handled
> maybe it's OK to leave it to the sysadmin.
> To summarise: Invoking zsh -b, or calling `setopt GLOBAL_RCS_FIRST' in
> /etc/zshenv, would force the order of scripts to be
>   /etc/zshenv /etc/zprofile /etc/zshrc /etc/zlogin
>   ~/.zshenv ~/.zprofile ~/.zshrc ~/.zlogin
> As with the NO_RCS option, setting or unsetting the option at any later
> point would have no effect.  The sysadmin could force all the global
> scripts to be used before the user does anything.

How about allowing the *user* to `setopt GLOBAL_RCS_FIRST' in their
own ~/.zshenv; such that the order of script evaluation became:

 /etc/zshenv
 ~/.zshenv (first chunk until `setopt GLOBAL_RCS_FIRST', then continue with ..)
 /etc/zprofile
 /etc/zshrc
 /etc/zlogin
 ~/.zshenv (rereading this one)
 ~/.zprofile
 ~/.zshrc
 ~/.zlogin

(Or maybe ~/.zshenv should be evaluated twice anyway.)

This way the *user* could "force all the global scripts to be used
before the user does anything".

I thought, it was Stefans's concern to get liberated from the
sysadmin's (or the sw distribution's) whims, not to donate them even
more power.

Greetings, Wolfgang.