How to avoid expansion when completing?

Suppose I have a load of subdirectories, each of which contains a file
called foobar.dat.  I enter

% wc **/foob<Tab>

hoping to expand this to **/foobar.dat (assuming there's nothing else
starting with 'foob' in any of the subdirectories).  However, I get the
'**' expanded to the first subdirectory name which has a file starting
with 'foob' in it.  (If I keep pressing <Tab> then I cycle round).

I've got the following options set, and I'm running version 3.1.5.

nobeep
completeinword
globcomplete
histignoredups
histverify
ignoreeof
interactive
login
monitor
pushdignoredups
shinstdin
zle

Is there some combination of options I haven't managed to find yet, or
is this just impossible to do?

--
Richard Curnow---by day : SuperH Core Architecture at STMicroelectronics
curnowr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx