Re: strange effect on Linux

On 12 Mar, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Mar 12, 10:51am, jarausch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> } Subject: strange effect on Linux
> }
> } Progs=(perl5.7.$V sperl5.7.$V perl suidperl a2p c2ph h2ph h2xs \
> }        perlbug perldoc pl2pm splain perlcc dprofpp s2p find2perl \
> }        pod2man pod2html pod2latex pod2text pod2usage podchecker podselect pstruct)
> } mkdir Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R
> } mv -f $^Progs Perl.$Mode.5.7.$V.$R/
> }
> } Again and again I get the error messages
> }
> } mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/perl: No such file or directory
> } mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/suidperl: No such file or directory
> } mv: Perl.Prod.5.7.0.9063/pstruct: No such file or directory
> }
> } and I don't understand why it tries to access these files.
>
> perl, suidperl, and pstruct are all hard links to other files.  In each
> case your "mv" command has already "mv"d the other name (e.g. perl5.7.0
> for perl) for those files to the new directory.
>
> This sounds like a bug in "mv" -- are you using zsh's files module, or
> /bin/mv, or ...?  Which linux *distribution* (not just kernel version)
> of linux are you using?  What version of GNU fileutils?  Are there any
> NFS file systems involved?

Many thanks, you're right.
It seems to be a bug in GNU fileutils-4.0

There is no NFS file system involved.

I've made a simple test in a fresh directory

mkdir TT
touch a
ln a b
mv a b TT

and I get the same error message that
TT/b is missing.

Having loaded zsh/files
it works just fine.

So, I'll have to write a bug report to gnu.

Thanks for solving this mystery,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch