Re: FW: advertisemnet - grand opening lots of free jewelry

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001, Christopher White wrote about "FW: advertisemnet - grand opening lots of free jewelry":
> Dear Zsh People,
>
> I don't know how or why this SPAM had my server's name in its address, but I
> want to assure you that this bulk mailing did not come from my domain.  I
> just checked my maillog to make sure, but since we don't allow relaying from
> any other domain, the From: header must be bogus.  Again, I don't know why
> they're using my server's name in the address.

Actually, don't worry - they are not using your server name. Everyone got
their own domain in the From: header (I got:
	From: twoheartsofgold.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
). I'm not sure why that happened - apparently some mailer on the way, either
the mailing list program or our own mailers, so a From: without a "@", and
decided to stick the local domain at the end.

Anyway, how come such spam is distributed to the mailing list? Is it open for
posting for non-subscribers?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Thursday, Jun 28 2001, 7 Tammuz 5761