Re: 2nd mail question :)

>   Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:34:35 -0400
>   From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Ziefle?= <gt4556a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>   Does anybody see a way to execute an external program when new mail has
>   come in?  Events, for example?
>
>   What I wanna do is when new mail arrives, I want to have a little
>   program executed that starts my mailer with the right folder
>   (user-specified if several folders have received mail).

What you need is "procmail." It does exactly what you want, plus lots more.

It is a mail filter or local delivery agent.

You can sort mail via a .procmailrc into all kinds of incoming mail boxes,
run programs on them, etc.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             magill@xxxxxxx
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/