Can't build 4.0.2 on Darwin1.3.7

Has anyone successfully built zsh 4.0.2 on Darwin? I'm hoping that someone
can look at the output below and point me in the direction of a fix.

Configure seems to work OK and make runs without warnings while it compiles
a lot of files. Then it gets to what looks like it may be trying to link and
does this:

rm -f zsh
cc  -s  -o zsh main.o  `cat stamp-modobjs`   -lm  -lc
/usr/bin/ld: can't use -s with input files containg indirect symbols (output
file must contain at least global symbols, for maximum stripping use -x)
make[1]: *** [zsh] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can give me a clue.

--
Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye
level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain. -Henry