Completion in pwd before subdirecories

I use menu-complete. I don't know if zsh has changed its default behavior
in recent versions, or if I only now noticed something I haven't noticed
before.

In any case, suppose I have these files in a directory:

dota1.pdf dota2.pdf dir

where dir is a directory.

If I now type xpdf d<tab>, zsh will suggest dir as the first completion. I
would prefer it if it tried it with any file matching in the current
directory, before going into the sub directories. I would thus rather see
dota1.pdf and dota2.pdf suggested before dir, in my example.

Is this possible?

Jesper

This is zsh 4.1.1 under Debian.