Re: $_ and compatibility

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:17:35PM +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> I'm usually a stickler for backwards compatibility, but does anyone
> think anything would break if the changing of $_ were delayed until
> after shell functions have been called, so that it would remain the
> last word of the _previous_ command?

Somewhere, someone would break.  That's almost a given.

But with a proper notice, maybe it would be okay?  I think it would make
sense to keep a list of (non-bug) incompatibilities somewhere in the
distribution so that people would have a definitive place to find out
why their stuff isn't working anymore.

But it still makes it harder to incorporate zsh in a distribution that
strives for backwards compatibility.  :(

Danek