Re: Word component characters -- how to have two behaviors?

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> kai-forward-word () {
>     select-word-style shell; zle forward-word; select-word-style bash;
> }
> zle -N kai-forward-word kai-forward-word
> bindkey "\eF" kai-forward-word
>
> Is there a more elegant way to do this?

Yes, this is what styles are for.  The current syntax is:

  zle -N kai-forward-word forward-word-match
  bindkey '\eF' kai-forward-word
  zstyle ':zle:kai-forward-word' word-style shell

This creates and binds a new widget implemented by the same function as
the version of forward-word used when the word-style mechanism is in
effect.  `zle -lL | grep forward-word' would give you that information.

Then you set a style specifically for the new widget you created.  Any
of the styles described in zshcontrib for the *-match functions work.
As you can see, it's much neater because it's all done with names;
there's no new code.  It resembles a number of clever tricks in the
completion system (not coincidentally).

Actually, I've been thinking about extending the mechanism (there was a
discussion a while ago but no one responded), so it might be safer to
use

  zstyle ':zle:kai-forward-word(:*|)'

in case I add extra colon-delimited arguments.

(You can just about work this out, except that last suggestion, from a
combination of the zshzle, zshcontrib and zshutil manual pages, but it's
tough going.  I should add something like this as an example.)

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com