How to get faster completion if I make zsh assume what I've typed so far is correct?

Why does zsh have to glob every directory along a pathname in order to find completions within the final directory? For example, take this case:

/one/two/three/four <TAB>

If I set -x, the output after hitting TAB shows zsh retrieves all the subdirectories within one, two, three and four. I would like zsh to only bother globbing in four to find the files that I'm looking for--it should assume that whatever I've currently typed is correct and it ONLY needs to look in four--there is no need for it to know anything about the contents of one, two or three. Is there a style setting or an option that I can use to do that? If two, three and four are NFS, it can often slow down completion a lot--particularly if there are a lot of files in them.

--
Shawn Halpenny