Re: Weird error with clearcase

On Mar 24, 10:22am, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
}
} When the default shell for a user is zsh, a the clearcase "setview"
} command is invoked (clearcase version 6), zsh never starts.  Running
} strace shows that an error is continuously occuring with the zsh history
} file.  The error text says that an O/S call is being invoked to create a
} cross device link.

I suspect there's some subtlety here that strace output is not showing,
and that the history file itself is a red herring.

} Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I don't use clearcase, but I seem to recall from previous discussions here
that it presents the repository as a virtual filesystem.  My guess would
therefore be that the error really has to do with some access to that
filesystem.  Possibly the code that uses link() to create a lock file to
protect shared access to the history?

In which case it's not the location of the history file itself, but the
value of the $HISTFILE variable that would be at issue.  When you said ...

} We moved the history file around

... did you mean that you changed $HISFILE?