(No) Exported Functions

Hi,

I've read the manuals and googled and as far as I can see, zsh doesn't appear to support exported functions. Is this true? If not please ignore the rest of the mail :)

Also, going through some old discussions, it appears that some people feel that the feature itself is of dubious value. However, I find it a shortcoming in the following situations:

1. In my environment are weird and wonderful functions that do some useful stuff on a list of files, let's say coolfun()

I can't do a
$ find . -name '*.blah' | xargs coolfun # coolfun: No such file or directory

2. I can't invoke
:!coolfun %
from vim, my favourite editor.

Both shortcomings are somewhat rectified by arranging to have coolfun's definition in $HOME/.zshenv. However, this gets tedious (and possibly inefficient) when a large number of functions are involved. I tried doing a
$ functions >> ~/.zshenv
in my .zshrc as a shortcut but this puts all the autoloaded functions into the env file causing error messages when completion is first attempted etc. like:
$ cd sss<tab>
_next_label:comptags:8: no tags registered

Does anyone have a better solution / workaround to this problem. Or is exported functions somewhere in the feature-list ?

Thanks,
Suresh

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

related financial instruments.