Re: how do I find my IP address

Timothy:

If you are running a computer with an ip address that changes (dynamically allocated), this will work, although it is kind of ugly:

define an alias such as:

alias myip="curl -s http://www.showmyip.com/simple/ | awk '{print $1}' "

I would echo the output of myip into something at login rather than grab it off the internet every time I hit the return key.

If you have a static ip address, you should only have to figure this out once. On Mac OS X you can find this in the System Preferences under file sharing or network settings (I am assuming this on the basis of the Micro$oft email stamp at the bottom of your email.)

This alias and a whole bunch of stuff that is useful for OS X zsh is distributed by Gary Kerbaugh. I have links to it and a few of my own zsh functions here: http://tinyurl.com/3373b

Bill Scott

 http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/fahrenheit_911/