Re: how do I find my IP address

On most unix flavors, some varient of:

ifconfig -a | grep inet | grep -v '127.0.0.1' | awk '{print $2}'

should work.  'ifconfig' can live in various places, but usually it
is in /sbin/ifconfig or /usr/sbin/ifconfig (old unixen might have it
in /etc/ifconfig).

The 'grep inet' should give you all the ip addresses, but will also
have things like netmask.  The 'grep -v 127.0.0.1' will cut out the
localhost definition.  The 'awk '{print $2}' should give you just the
IP address, but it might be in a different field (try 3, 4, etc).

I'm sure there's a way to figure out a pure zsh way to do this, but I
don't know it.  Also, I strongly suggest figuring this out once,
stashing it in a variable ($MY_IP or some such), and just using that
variable.

If you're under windows, under cygwin, you're on your own, but I'd
start with 'ipconfig /all'.

--Jason