Re: completion within word

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:18:49 +0100 Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Matthias B." wrote:
> > Pathname completion should *always* work *unconditionally* and
> > everything else should be offered in addition to it, if the completion
> > code believes it makes sense in the appropriate position.
>
> That would be completely unworkable for the vast majority of special
> contextual completions.

As I've said, I am aware that the root of my problems seems to be a design
decision incompatible with my work habits.

> You can bind a key that just does filename
> completion, however.  This binds it to \C-f.

You mean ^X F, don't you?

> Oliver may know some
> gotchas I'm missing.

I can tell you. It doesn't solve my original problem, which is that

BLA=/usr:/us<COMPLETE>

doesn't complete the /us after the ":". Your file-completion doesn't do
that either. bash does, though and I've grown used to this feature and
don't want to miss it.

MSB

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero.