HASH_LIST_ALL?

If I understand the purpose of the HASH_LIST_ALL setting, I should
be able to add a program to my path, and have that program be
accessable via tab-completion without running "rehash" (i.e., the
rehash is automatic upon a tab-completion attempt for a command).

Furthermore, the zshoptions man page says that HASH_LIST_ALL is set
by default.  And indeed, that appears to be the case, because when I
do a "setopt" (with no arguments), I don't see any reference to
hashlistall.  (And, if I do a "setopt hashlistall", the output of
setopt with no arguments doesn't change.)

So as far as I can tell, HASH_LIST_ALL is set on my shell.  However,
tab completion on new commands does not work until I have manually
done a rehash.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Matt