Re: HASH_LIST_ALL?

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Matt Garman wrote:

> If I understand the purpose of the HASH_LIST_ALL setting, I should
> be able to add a program to my path, and have that program be
> accessable via tab-completion without running "rehash" (i.e., the
> rehash is automatic upon a tab-completion attempt for a command).

Unfortunately that's almost exactly the opposite of what it means.

What HASH_LIST_ALL means is that the *first* time you do completion of
command word -- not the first time for each new command; the single first
time you complete with the cursor in the command word position -- that the
entire search path is added to the hash.  The alternative, with the option
unset, is for the hash search to stop as soon as it finds the command in
question, then continue where it left off if necessary later.  In neither
case are previously-hashed directories searched again (except for relative
paths like "." and "..") until after a "rehash" is done.