Re: Keybindings for prev- and next-char

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Chris Johnson wrote:

> I've been using emacs without realizing it.  :( However, EDITOR and
> VISUAL are both set to vi -- in my .zshrc file.  Does it matter where
> these are set?  The main page checks these "when the shell starts up."

They're checked when the zsh/zle module is loaded.  That means they have
to be set before the first time you invoke a bindkey, zle, or completion-
related builtin, because any of those will autoload zle.

Some Linux distributions (and possibly other pre-packagings of zsh) have
"bindkey -e" or the like in their /etc/z* files, which of course cause the
settings of EDITOR and VISUAL to be ignored.  You're best off putting an
explicit "bindkey -v" somewhere.