RE: "here" document broken? (New findings)

Things are still mysterious, but I am now able to narrow down
the problem. So here is what I have so far:

The following script, call it zsh_here, works well:

#!/bin/zsh -f
cat << EOD
  xxx
EOD

If I change it like this, it does not work anymore:

#!/bin/zsh
cat << EOD
  xxx
EOD

If I execute it, I get the error message

   zsh_here:2: no such file or directory

As the only difference is the -f flag in the invocation of zsh,
the culprit might be my startup scripts. But they are innocent:

(1) If in the "good" version (version 1), I explicitly source .zshenv
and .zshrc, it still works.

(2) If I remove .zshenv and .zshrc (and also a .profile which was
still hanging around), and then call the "bad" version, I still get
the error message.

To be really sure that in case of (2), no other files are secretly
sourced, I also called my script like this:

   zsh -x -c zsh_here

and get the output:

+zsh:1> zsh_here
zsh_here:2: no such file or directory

Aside from this flaw, the zsh seems to work fine: I have several scripts
which
work like a charm, as long I don't use here documents.

I start to suspect that this zsh version (4.0.7) is broken. Unless
someone
has another idea where to look, I try to persuade our sysadmin to
install
a newer version (I know this won't be easy...).

Ronald