git checkout and git clone completion problems

Greetings,

I'm a beginner with git so it may be that I can't interpret some
results correctly or see that they are actually repository problems
or similar.  Also, I obtained git completion code from CVS and I'm
using it, or at least trying, with Debian stable's zsh 4.2.5 so it
may be that this causes problems.

In any case, I'm experimenting with a repository cloned from
<http://sbcl.boinkor.net/git/sbcl-beta.git/>.  git is 1.3.3.

First, "git branches" gives me a list of 45 branches.  The list
looks what it is supposed to be.  Yet "git checkout <tab>" gives me
239 completions.  It seems that the list includes also tags even
though git checkout does not seem to accept tags.  Also, it seems
that for each tag there is a corresponding entry with \^\{\}
appended.  A small snippet:

resistance-is-futex
resistance-is-futex-start
resistance-is-futex-start\^\{\}

Of these only the first is a branch.  resistance-is-futex-start is
a tag.

Second, "git clone <tab>" results to:

[prompt] git clone _git-clone:10: command not found: (-q --quiet)-q[operate quietly]
         git clone <cursor position>
--local  -l  -- perform a local cloning of a repository

--
Hannu