Redirection Symbol After Completion

Hi.  This is just a minor, cosmetic nuance of zsh that I'd like to
change, if possible.  When I complete a filename with

   cat fil<TAB>

the command line becomes "cat file.txt ".  A space is displayed after
the completed filename, though I didn't type it.  If I type another
argument, the space remains and separates the arguments.  However, if I
type a redirection character like & or |, the space is removed and I get

   cat file.txt|

I personally find commands easier to parse with my eye when the space
remains before the redirection symbol:

   cat file.txt |

Is there any way to force this space to persist even if I type a
redirection operator?  Thanks for any insight.

--
Chris Johnson
cjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx