Re: Calling a zle widget from a function

Angel Olivera wrote:
> So I would love to be able to call zle's clear-screen widget from the
> function.
>
> redondos@refinery ~ % zle clear-screen
> zle: widgets can only be called when ZLE is active

If you have version 4.3.4 the sched mechanism will call functions
asynchronously within zle, if that's running.  So something like

  clear-zle-screen() {
    zle && zle clear-screen
    sched +60 clear-zle-screen
  }
  sched +60 clear-zle-screen

does the basics.  However, it will attempt to clear the screen *every*
60 seconds, not just after 60 seconds of idleness.  One possible way
around that is to look at the modification time for the terminal and compare
it with the current time:

  clear-zle-screen() {
    zmodload -i zsh/stat
    zmodload -i zsh/datetime
    local -a mtime
    integer diff

    stat -A mtime +mtime $TTY
    (( diff = EPOCHSECONDS - ${mtime} ))
    if (( diff > 60 )); then
      zle && zle clear-screen
      sched +60 clear-zle-screen
    else
      sched +$(( 60 - diff )) clear-zle-screen
    fi
  }

(I needed to use $TTY, not /dev/tty, on the Fedora Core 6 system I have
here since they don't seem to be kept in sync.)

This doesn't work with 4.2 where sched is only run synchronously and
never from zle.  I think you'd have to do it in two steps: have the
timeout set a flag, and have some zle hook look at the timeout.  But
hooking into zle at that depth is quite painful.

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview