Completion-menu escaping

When I use tab-completion and the menu comes up, the list of options
is escaped (chars like ' ', ?, *, etc.).  Is there any way to have it
just show the completion strings without escaping?  (Obviously, the
string it inserts would still need to be escaped appropriately) Space-
and punctuation-heavy directory are un-navigable with escaping on
(plus it's ugly :-P).

Also, I'm not on the mailing list, so please be sure my address stays
CC'ed in this thread.  Thanks!

--
Clay Barnes

Website: