Suspending an interactive job: Zsh vs Bash differences

I am a recent convert from bash to zsh and am very happy with just about every
thing in zsh.  There is a difference in Zsh that I miss from my bash days.

It is in suspending a job.  Under bash (currently: version 3.2.25(1)-release)
when I suspend an interactive program I get:

    bash$ emacs            # typed ^Z

    [1]+  Stopped                 emacs

Under Zsh I get:

    zsh% emacs               # typed ^Z

    zsh: suspended  emacs

So namely I'm missing the job number.  It is correctly reported by jobs:

    zsh% jobs
    [1]  + suspended  emacs

What I would like is the job number reported when the interactive program
is '^Z'.   I have aliased 'kill1'  to be "kill -9 %1' and 'kill2' to
be "kill -9 %2' and so on.  This way I could (under bash)  '^Z' a program and
type 'kill#'  where '#' is the job number.  I don't care how the job number
is included so as a guess,  I'd merge the 'jobs' output with '^Z' like this:

    zsh:   [#]  +/- suspended  job_name

Where [#]  is  the job number and the +/-  marks just like 'jobs' does.  So
    zsh% emacs               # typed ^Z

    zsh: [1] + suspended emacs

would be something like what I'm looking for.

Is this an easy or difficult change?  Maybe there is a way to modify what '^Z'
is bound to?

Thanks,
R.