Re: Multi-Minute Startup?

In the last episode (Aug 14), Richard Hartmann said:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 17:29, Dan Nelson <dnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Raise suggested-size to 1601 (a prime number larger than your current
> > list size with some room to grow).
>
> Using a prime hints at an interesting reason. What is it?

I just copied the recommendation out of the nscd.conf manpage:

       suggested-size service prime-number

              This  option sets the size of the hash that is used to
              store the cache entries. As this is a hash, it should be
              reasonably larger than the maximum number of entries that
              is expected to be cached simultaneously and should be a
              prime number. It defaults to a size of 211 entries.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx