configure NIS test hangs on one of my OS X machines

I have two presumably identically configured iMacs, one at work and one at home. Both are intel running OS X 10.5.4.

zsh configures fine on the machine at work. At home, it hangs indefinitely testing for NIS

checking for RFS superroot directory... no
checking whether we should use the native getcwd... no
checking for NIS... no
checking for NIS+... no

vs.

checking for /dev/fd filesystem... /dev/fd
checking for RFS superroot directory... no
checking whether we should use the native getcwd... no
checking for NIS...

Neither should have NIS.  The one where this works is running NFS.