Re: Getting the CVS revision of Zsh

> % echo $ZSH_PATCHLEVEL
> 1234

To me, "patchlevel" indicates the patch version of a release, i.e. the
third number in ZSH_VERSION.

Something like ZSH_VCSREVISION to me would be a much better name, or
ZSH_CVSREVISION if you don't care about being version control system
neutral.

The other question I had on this is whether ChangeLog is necessarily
updated with every checkin to zsh source code?

> % echo $ZSH_RELEASE
> 4.3.10

Seems reasonable.  You really should just need a boolean value, as
ZSH_VERSION better be the same when ZSH_RELEASE is set.

> PS: Maybe there is a clean way in current zsh to do this?

Check that there's not a "-" in ZSH_VERSION?

greg