Re: Unable to read history on latest Cygwin

Wayne Davison wrote:
> As for Peter's idea of using a symlink, do you know if the cygwin folks
> mention if their emulation of a symlink is an atomic operation?  We could
> completely get rid of the temp file (used in the hard-link code) and just
> create a symlink named for the lock file, pointing at (essentially)
> $PID/$HOST (since it doesn't matter if the link is valid, just that it
> exists).  According to various web docs, symlinks are atomic on NFS, so that
> might be a good thing to use in general (replacing the use of link()).

Modulo the Cygwin business (which may still need special handling), that
certainly sounds sensible...I think a lot of software does this anyway.
The only question then is whether to special-case the use of link() if
symlink() happens not to be available---I suppose it's trivial and
there's no good reason not to.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited