Re: Shell options during completion?

"Benjamin R. Haskell" wrote:
> Then I guess my question is more PCRE-specific than I'd thought...  Is
> PCRE "usually" available?  (For some "most distros"/"most OS'es"/"most
> users" value of "usually")  Or should I just code up the 'fallback' path
> in my other example (since I'd have to code it anyway for the the
> doesn't-have-PCRE case)?

It's probably safest to assume PCRE isn't available:  pcre is often not
a package installed by default, may well not be present at all on
systems that aren't Linux or BSD distributions, and enabling it is a
special configure option.

You probably *can* assume POSIX regular expressions are available, i.e
[[ ... =~ ... ]] with REMATCH_PCRE turned off.  That's tested for in
configure, but I would expect most systems to provide it.