Re: Re: possible bug in zsh glob

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:36:09 +0530  wrote
>On Wednesday 24 of February 2010 10:53:52 Nadav Har'El wrote:
>>
>> Is there any logical reason why zsh's default is the way it is? I.e.,
>> when it sees
>>
>> ls -l *.txt *.jp
>>
>> And there are no *.jp, it has to stop the entire command, rather than
>> let the command give you a message, like was always the case in the
>> Bourne shell, ksh, and bash (without the failglob option)?
>>

>I guess, because it (zsh) originates more from csh.
>
>Anyway, it is too late to change defaults now.
>
>Personally I like to take it as indication that I made a typo in
>command. I do not have any problems with extra quoting when needed :)

Before posting the question, I had a look at the glob options as well as the NOMATCH option, but the description of NOMATCH option was confusing.

This is the information from the zshoptions man page:
    NOMATCH (-3)

If a pattern for filename generation has no matches, print an error, instead
of leaving it unchanged in the argument list.  This also applies to file
expansion of an initial ~ or =.

Thanks for this info Andrey !!!

-Dipak