Re: Zsh autocompletion with no access to a parent directory

> You can try telling completion to accept any directory that it knows exists
> without trying to expand the path:
>
> zstyle ':completion:*' accept-exact-dirs true
>
> I'm not sure if this will help in the case you're describing, however,
> since it looks like it might not be able to tell if the directory exists.
> You'll need zsh 4.3.

Another thought, is it possible to get it to /never/ expand directories. I almost (read. only by accident) never specify a directory below where the cursor is with an incomplete name. It seems wasteful and slow for autocompletion to go ferreting around network volumes looking for alternatives. Especially in an automount environment where such traversal could cause additional wait time whilst mounting other volumes?