Re: Bug in _gnu_generic for "cp -a"?

On 2010-05-19, 08:30, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Is there a reason you wanted to override the _cp completer that is
> provided by default?  Does it get something else wrong that
> _gnu_generic solved?
To be honest, I can't remember.  I added this line to my config
years ago and unfortunately didn't add a comment.  But I assume
that the _cp completer had some kind of problem back then.

> What do you see with
>
> % cp -<TAB>

condor:~/tmp> compdef _gnu_generic cp
condor:~/tmp> cp -<TAB>
- option -
--archive                 -a      -- same as -dR --preserve=all
-b                                -- like --backup but does not accept an argument
--backup                          -- make a backup of each existing destination file
--copy-contents                   -- copy contents of special files when recursive
-d                                -- same as --no-dereference --preserve=links
--dereference             -L      -- always follow symbolic links in SOURCE
--force                   -f      -- if an existing destination file cannot be
-H                                -- follow command-line symbolic links in SOURCE
--help                            -- display this help and exit
--interactive                     -- prompt before overwrite (overrides a previous -n
--link                    -l      -- link files instead of copying
--no-clobber              -n      -- do not overwrite an existing file (overrides
--no-dereference          -P      -- never follow symbolic links in SOURCE
--no-preserve                     -- don't preserve the specified attributes
--no-target-directory     -T      -- treat DEST as a normal file
--one-file-system         -x      -- stay on this file system
-p                                -- same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps
--parents                         -- use full source file name under DIRECTORY
--preserve                        -- preserve the specified attributes (default-
--recursive               -r  -R  -- copy directories recursively
--remove-destination              -- remove each existing destination file before
--sparse                          -- control creation of sparse files
--strip-trailing-slashes          -- remove any trailing slashes from each SOURCE
--suffix                  -S      -- override the usual backup suffix
--symbolic-link           -s      -- make symbolic links instead of copying
--target-directory        -t      -- copy all SOURCE arguments into DIRECTORY
--update                  -u      -- copy only when the SOURCE file is newer
--verbose                 -v      -- explain what is being done
--version                         -- output version information and exit

With the default _cp completer:

condor:~/tmp> cp -<TAB>
- option -
--archive                 -a      -- same as -dpR
-b                                -- backup
--backup                          -- method
--copy-contents                   -- copy contents of special files when recursive
-d                                -- same as --no-dereference --preserve=link
--dereference             -L      -- always follow symbolic links
--force                   -f      -- remove and retry for destinations that cannot be opened
-H                                -- follow command-line symbolic links
--link                    -l      -- link files instead of copying
--no-preserve                     -- attributes not to preserve
--one-file-system         -x      -- stay on this file system
-p                                -- same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps
-P                                -- same as --no-dereference
--parents                         -- append source path to target directory
--preserve                        -- attributes to preserve
--recursive               -r  -R  -- copy directories recursively
--remove-destination              -- remove each existing destination file before attempting to open it
--reply                           -- how to handle the prompt about an existing destination file
--sparse                          -- when to create sparse files
--strip-trailing-slashes          -- remove any trailing slashes from each source argument
--suffix                  -S      -- backup suffix
--symbolic-link           -s      -- make symbolic links instead of copies of non-directories
--target-directory                -- target directory
--update                  -u      -- copy only when source is newer than destination or destination is
--verbose                 -v      -- explain what is being done
--help                                             --version

condor:~> echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.3.10
condor:~> uname -a
Linux condor 2.6.31-21-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 24 07:28:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
condor:~> cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=karmic