RE: Using variables in command substitution

Thank you -- that's VERY good information!

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin R. Haskell [mailto:zsh@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 8:37 AM
To: Dan Luther
Cc: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using variables in command substitution

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Dan Luther wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping someone can explain this.
>
> I'm trying to unify my .zshrc across a couple of platforms, and I ran
across
> an interesting ZSH behavior. Essentially, I want to assign a variable to
the
> name of a specific command for later substitution:
>
>   if [$(uname)="SunOS"]; then
>     ME="/usr/xpg4/bin/id -un"
>   elif [$(uname)="Linux"]; then
>     ME="id -un"
>   else
>     ME="who am i | cut -d ' ' -f1"
>   fi
>   HNAME=$(uname -n | cut -d. -f1)
> . . .
> cd() { chdir "$@"; prompt="[$($ME)@$HNAME] $(pwd)> "; }
>  . . .
>
> When I try to use the "cd" redefinition, I get:
>
> .zshrc: no such file or directory /usr/xpg4/bin/id -un
>
> Is it possible to use variables in command expansion at all, or am I
> just doing it wrong?

Disregarding the problem as stated, a much simpler version of getting
your prompt the way it seems you want it:

setopt prompt_subst
prompt='[%n@%m] %~> '

Vastly simpler than trying to find the information yourself across
multiple systems.  Plus two improvements IMO:

1. shortened hostname (Use '%M' instead of '%m' if you want the full
thing)

2. shortened pathnames ('%~' will try to compress the directory using
named directories; use '%/' or '%d' [equivalent] if you want the full
thing)

Look for 'SIMPLE PROMPT ESCAPES' in man zshall (probably in some
subsection, but I never know which is which -- wasn't 'zshparam' or
'zshexpn').

--
Best,
Ben