printf shortcomings

I was looking at `printf(3)` and also this lovely reference
(http://www.pixelbeat.org/programming/gcc/format_specs.html) and
noticed that the "locale thousands grouping" flag (') doesn't appear
to be supported by Zsh's builtin printf. I don't have an important
need for this today, but noticing that it could be pretty useful.

  % printf "%'i" 3210384
  print: %': invalid directive
  % /usr/bin/printf "%'i" 3210384
  3,210,384%

Is the prescription to just fall back to the system printf when
certain complex formats are needed? Or are there plans to implement
(most) everything from the system version? I see LC_NUMERIC
(zshparam(1)) hinting at the "thousands separator" but I'm not seeing
where that gets used.

--
twitter:@MicahElliott  |  email:mde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  http://membean.com
Remember your words on exam day with Membean!