Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: zsh: bad option, bash works
- X-seq: zsh-users 16651
- From: Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: Rich Boyce <rich@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: zsh: bad option, bash works
- Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:46:51 +1100
- Cc: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <4EEF2F30.email@example.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <4EEF2F30.firstname.lastname@example.org>
[ CC'd to zsh-users@xxxxxxx. My apologies for this. - Cameron ]
On 19Dec2011 12:33, Rich Boyce <rich@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On 18/12/11 22:11, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| >On 18Dec2011 22:51, Zind<wzmindlog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| >| Thanks a trillion. :-)
| >Did you consult the manual? "man "zshbuiltins" says:
| Hmm. If you're unaware that type is a builtin, when using zsh 'man
| type' actually gives me BASH_BUILTINS(1).
That is a bit of a clue right there.
| If I don't know what a
| builtin is, and read about type in there, it tells me that '-t' is a
| valid option.
Indeed. There's no particular clue that the options don't work for all
| Perhaps when you do 'man type' or any other of the builtins, you
| should be shown the man page for the shell you're actually using?
Ugh. Via the normal man command? Please not. Via some shell builtin (:-)
alias? Maybe, provided it has big flashing lwaning lights and an
indicator of how to get the "real" manual entry.
Better, maybe, would be a "help" builtin for bash, zsh etc that
documented builtins and other topics, and offered to divert to "man"
as well (or on no hit).
Hmm. I see "bash" has a help comment. Zsh doesn't.
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
Clymer's photographs of this procedure show a very clean head. This is a lie.
There is oil in here, and lots of it. - Mike Mitten, rec.moto, 29sep1993
Messages sorted by: