Arrays with each item on one line

I don't understand arrays very well and am trying to learn.

I keep trying to do things like this:

FILES=("$HOME/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro"
"$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.editor.plist"
"$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.engine.plist"
"$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.stairways.keyboardmaestro.plist")

for F in $FILES
do

command ls -ld "$F"

done

but instead of $F being each line for 4 iterations of the loop, I get
all 4 lines x 4 times.

I thought that the solution was changing IFS, so I tried:

IFS='
'

and

IFS=$'\n'

but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks

TjL

Zsh version 4.3.11 on Mac OS X/10.7