Re: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot

Hello,
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 01:10:50PM +0200, Mark van Dijk wrote:
> > Subject: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot
>
> Ehm, do you really know what you're talking about?
>
> > Take a look at this output of my Debian Squeeze box:
> >
> > Package: zsh
> > Version: 4.3.10-14
>
> Squeeze is about 1.5 years old, Squeeze's feature freeze was in the
> beginning of August 2010 and zsh 4.3.10 was the uptodate zsh
> developement (!) release back then.

Yeah, so it's 2 years old and it did have some minor fixes since then.
The word 'rot' was chosen poorly sorry about that, if I pissed you
off too much I apologise.

> Do you really know how Linux distributions in general and Debian in
> specific works? I don't think so.

No I have absolutely no clue. I just started working with it yesterday
after I spilled an entire can of Dr. Pepper on my MSX2. It really
saddened me because I almost got to the end of Road Fighter.

Ok, here's the honest answer. While I indeed do realise how Debian
works with their versioning strategy (and I commend them for that in
general) there is a genuine (but admittedly stupid) reason for why I
sent my email --

> > Package: zsh-beta
> > Version: 4.3.10-dev-1+20100720-1
>
> Compare the freeze date with the date in the version number: Clint
> upload an uptodate snapshot just two weeks before the freeze for
> Squeeze.
>
> > Debian sid is not much better - version 4.3.17.
>
> Which is the second last release of zsh and the last developement
> release of zsh before the freeze for Wheezy. Nothing wrong here
> either.

-- i.e. I did not check the versioning of Zsh properly. For some reason
the wrong version stuck with me (4.7.13) which is bogative. This
morning I got a bit too annoyed because I kept hitting a couple of
issues that have been fixed after 4.3.10. Had a rotten night, yada
yada, and sent the mail.

> (snip)
> Ok, this shows that you really have _NO_ idea how Debian or most other
> Linux distributions work. Go and do your homework before complaining.
> See the according question[2] in FAQ for a start. (Or use a rolling
> release based Linux distribution instead in case you dislike the idea
> of _stable_ _releases_.)
> (snip)
> 		Kind regards, Axel

Not that kind but I deserved it, sorry again, I go sit in corner now
yes.

Mark