Re: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot

Hi Mark,

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:38:08PM +0200, Mark van Dijk wrote:
> > Squeeze is about 1.5 years old, Squeeze's feature freeze was in the
> > beginning of August 2010 and zsh 4.3.10 was the uptodate zsh
> > developement (!) release back then.
>
> Yeah, so it's 2 years old and it did have some minor fixes since then.
> The word 'rot' was chosen poorly sorry about that, if I pissed you
> off too much I apologise.

Apology accepted.

And yeah, we felt hurt -- because we put quite a lot of work in
Debian's zsh package, especially over the last 1.5 years since we
started to maintain it as a team. (Despite we're still not where we
would like to be packaging-wise.)

I tried to not sound too pissed, but I seem to have failed there...

> Ok, here's the honest answer. While I indeed do realise how Debian
> works with their versioning strategy (and I commend them for that in
> general) there is a genuine (but admittedly stupid) reason for why I
> sent my email --
[...]
> -- i.e. I did not check the versioning of Zsh properly. For some reason
> the wrong version stuck with me (4.7.13) which is bogative. This
> morning I got a bit too annoyed because I kept hitting a couple of
> issues that have been fixed after 4.3.10. Had a rotten night, yada
> yada, and sent the mail.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems as we've both calmed down again
already. And that's good. :-)

If you do IRC, feel free to come in #pkg-zsh on Freenode.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)