Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Bug / error in manpage.
- X-seq: zsh-users 17307
- From: Larry Schrof <larrys@xxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "zsh-users@xxxxxxx" <zsh-users@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Bug / error in manpage.
- Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 17:40:20 +0000
- Accept-language: en-US
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=fb.com; h=from : to : subject : date : message-id : in-reply-to : content-type : content-id : content-transfer-encoding : mime-version; s=facebook; bh=/2KsugOranjzn05IX9ay56HFdWlAr8irOC/sb+b1B+k=; b=JmrLv8lLOP9H7xey/Zq35mqx5S/aJUv7m2I9r8pMY6ICsOqCCAd7bmAqGc/bj2ATlUnj w/i0tvme3TxLd8oJ1AbfFSSBPRRslejXFOR04B8bx8qIwBBBR8GEeqrqh6DlGCzJJJrg Y+UdNHwKUjOKcf6EMtIcd07oxswVBrnUTAs=
- In-reply-to: <121002070643.ZM28769@torch.brasslantern.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- Thread-index: AQHNn//GKajF7pQVzUGqlU64C195lJemg6aA///GVAA=
- Thread-topic: Bug / error in manpage.
Thanks much for taking a look into it and the prompt patch!
On 10/2/12 7:06 AM, "Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Oct 1, 6:08pm, Larry Schrof wrote:
>} The man page for subscripting flags is incorrect. Here is the excerpt:
>} The flags s, n and b take an argument; the delimiter is shown
>} `:', but any character, or the matching pairs `(...)',
>} `[...]', or `<...>', may be used.
>} The '< >' brackets do not work as separators:
>} zsh% print $string[(ws<:>)2]
>} zsh: parse error near `)'
>I see PWS has made a patch, but I just wanted to point out that the man
>page was NOT incorrect before.
>It works if you quote it:
>torch% print "$string[(ws<:>)2]"
>What PWS's patch does, in effect, is arrange that [ ] will quote the
>redirection operators so you no longer need to explicitly quote them in
>that particular context. This is probably breaking some rule or other
>of POSIX shell syntax but I can't immediately come up with any example
>where it will matter.
Messages sorted by: